Bathrooms are fragrant in a bad way. Essential oils are fragrant in a good way! Can essential oils be used in a way that refreshes their scent with every bathroom visit?
- Better for you – essential oils can be safer than chemical fragrance concoctions (but be sure to use them in a safe way)
- Better for the earth – essential oils are all natural liquids made form plants
- Knowledge is Power – making your own fragrance with essential oils allows you to control the chemicals floating around in your breathing space (to some extent anyway)
- Easy – a toilet roll air freshener is super simple to make
- Your air freshener may or may not work depending on the essential oil you choose
I came across this nifty idea on Pinterest not too long ago: Make a quick and easy bathroom air freshener by putting a couple drops of essential oil inside the tube of a new roll of toilet paper. The idea is that each time the TP is used, the scent from the essential oil will be refreshed, it’s lovely fragrance filling your bathroom instead of, you know, other smells.
I tried it out first with lavender, which I have found to be a very strong scent in the past. With lavender essential oil, it worked very well! I really did smell the lavender each time I used the bathroom. It was not too strong to leave a lingering fragrance, which was fine with me.
I also tried eucalyptus and lemon essential oils, which I prefer over lavender. With eucalyptus essential oil, there was no noticeable fragrance at all. With the lemon essential oil, there was a little lemony freshness for the first day, but none after that.
So, I guess it depends on what type of essential oil you use, whether the TP roll air freshener will work or not. I like the mild lavender scent that refreshes with every use. But you might find one that works better for you. Overall, while this Green Idea is not a slam dunk, it works well some of the time. It’s cheap, and easy, so I recommend trying it out for yourself to see if you can find a scent that works for you!
Have you ever tried this method of bathroom air freshening? What’s your favorite kind of essential oil?
PS – Did you know some essential oils are not recommended for use by pregnant women? Check out this list for more info.